9/01/2012

weeding summer grasses

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

May 15, 2012




weeding my garden -
such great peace
and sunshine





every sunshine
and every drop of rain
feed my weeds


- Shared by Hideo Suzuki -
Joys of Japan, 2012


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


September 1, 2012

some were discussing the pros and cons of defining haiku in English . . .
citing the famous haiku by Basho about summer grasses . . .

夏草や兵どもが夢の跡
natsukusa ya tsuwamano-domo ga yume no ato


haiku is a word of the Japanese language, where it has a certain meaning.
haiku has also become a word in other languages, where it has taken on various meanings.

so writing a short poem called "haiku" is different things to different people - we just have to acknowledge this in the end, I think.

I write mostly Japanese haiku of the traditional flavor, but sometimes (it all depends on the situation) I write senryu, zappai or just plain short little poems . . . I hope the reader can figure out which is which ... if not, please label them as is fit to your understanding of the genre
and most of all -
enjoy what you are reading.


summer grasses
grow wild in my garden -
I call them weeds

sometimes
I call my weeds "wild flowers" -
it all depends on the situation


................................................................................


summer weeds
yet I bend my back gladly
to gather them

Ella Wagemakers



summer weeds -
plants that grow best for me
in this region

Elaine Andre



summer grasses -
some with flowers
others with vines

Hideo Suzuki


- Shared at Joys of Japan Poetry -

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. . . Read my Haiku Archives . . .

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: